Mission of the MECCA Library
The mission of the MECCA Library is to meet the learning, recreational and informational needs of the MECCA community; as well as help promote Muslim cultures, preserve and enrich Muslim American lives and create dialogue across faith communities.
The primary users will be registered members of the MECCA Center, MECCA staff and religious directors, and students enrolled in MECCA educational programs. Non-members of the MECCA Library can request a library card for a nominal fee.
Scope of the Collection
The scope of the collection will focus on materials of Islamic content that supports the educational and recreational needs of the MECCA community members, religious leaders, staff and youth. The library will also try to support the curriculum and educational goals of the following programs at MECCA:
1. MECCA Center Sunday School
2. MECCA Quran Institute (i.e. elementary, middle, high school and adult programs)
3. Youth programs (i.e. Friday Night Live, MECCA Meet-Ups for middle school kids)
4. Young Adult/Professional programs (i.e. MVMT Recharge)
5. Convert Support
The Library Collection will focus on materials in English, Arabic and Urdu in a variety of formats (ie. physical and digital) from within the broad tradition of Ahl al-Sunnah wal-Jama’ah as follows:
- Primary source material and commentary relating to the Quran, Hadith, Shariah/Fiqh, Aqeedah, Ilm al-Ihsan and Seerah of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
- Material (fiction and non-fiction) focusing on the modern Muslim family, Muslim values, rituals, holidays and life cycle events.
- Material focusing on the American Muslim experience.
- Material celebrating the diversity of Muslim cultures around the world.
- Multimedia materials including Muslim-themed films and spiritual nasheed from throughout the Muslim world.
The collection should reflect the range of ages, countries of origin, interests and experiences of the Muslim community the MECCA Library serves. The content should come from credible sources that offer accurate, reliable and current information. Additionally, the library will try to build a collection of materials that are not readily available in school or public libraries.
By using the mecca library you agree to accept the library rules and policies here