UPDATE: This job has been filled. Thank you!
Job title: Mecca Center Library Assistant
Term of employment: Part-time, based on 10 hours per week.
Pay rate: $13.00
Supervisor: Mecca Center Library Coordinator
Job Description: Reporting to and under the supervision of the Mecca Center Library Coordinator, the Library Assistant performs a variety of library technical and clerical functions related to the circulation and copy cataloging/processing of print and non-print materials and related equipment. Performs technical duties related to the copy cataloging of library materials in addition to special projects as assigned. Maintains library materials and equipment. Performs other related duties as assigned. This position is part-time, 10 hours per week.
Job Description of essential duties:
- Performs copy cataloging of new material, following established bibliographic and local standards.
- Check-out and check-in books, and other library materials.
- Process item holds, renewals and other patron requests.
- Prepares all new library materials. Labels and physically processes library materials.
- Answer basic informational, directional and Mecca Center Library questions, help patrons locate materials in the library.
- Gather, sort and shelve books (as needed).
- Shelf-read the stacks for proper call number order (as needed)
- Performs and/or assists in the repair of damaged materials.
- Participates in library committee meetings as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Effective and efficient communication skills.
- Willingness to learn library terminology and standard library practices, including the Library of Congress classification system, AACR2/RDA cataloging rules, and MARC 21 bibliographic record structure. Prior experience is not necessary.
- Operation and use of computers, and Microsoft Office Suite software; Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Must be able to inform Library Coordinator when instructions are unclear.
- Must be able to maintain patron privacy.
- The candidate must be energetic and eager to assist the Mecca Center Library patrons.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.