Job Description for Executive Director of The Mecca Center
The Mecca Center is seeking a full-time Executive Director (ED) to direct the day-to-day operations of the center and execute the strategic plan of the organization. The position reports directly to the Executive Committee (EC). If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the words “Executive Director” in the subject line.
Role and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the EC, the Executive Director will work closely with committees, the Imam, the Youth Director, other staff and volunteers to help them effectively go about their duties, oversee their programs and meet their annual goals. The ED is responsible for ensuring that organizational integrity is maintained through implemented processes and projects.
1 – Board Governance: Works with the board in order to fulfill The Mecca Center’s mission.
- Responsible for leading TMC in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2– Financial Performance and Viability:
- Works with the Finance Committee to develop resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of The Mecca Center, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support TMC’s mission.
3– Organization Mission and Strategy:
- Works with the Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, execution of recent strategic plan and community outreach.
4– Organization Operations:
- Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for the effective administration of The Mecca Center operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
Actual Job Responsibilities
- Planning and operation of annual budget with respective committees; implementation of the long term financial development strategies for the organization and supervise spending within approved budgets.
- Develop operational plans with timelines that lay-out the execution of the strategic plan of the organization
- Establish employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of The Mecca Center
- Active supervision of all non-religious affairs staff of the Mecca Center; maintain regular staff meetings
- Participate in Board and committee meetings and establish effective communication channels between committees when necessary
- Oversee communication processes and protocols by committees
- Supervise and manage performance evaluation process for staff
- Develop a framework for evaluating the effectiveness of programs and activities
- Review and approve contracts for services, with input and approval of the Executive Committee
- Work effectively with the Imam to carry out the programs and activities of The Mecca Center.
- Keep the Executive Committee informed on all aspects of the center’s activities and programs.
- Develop and implement an effective leadership development plan for staff and volunteers with input from the HR committee.
- Develop and implement strategies and activities to reach out to the community at large, in collaboration with the Membership committee
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Committee
- A Muslim who reflects the practices, values and ethics of Islam, has strong knowledge of the faith and of the Muslim community in Chicago
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, at all levels with firm command of the English language.
- Knowledge of human resource management, project management, and financial management.
- Ability to administrate and prioritize varied workloads, executing appropriate judgment and confidentiality.
- Proven leadership experience, including vision casting, talent development, talent evaluation, and strategic implementation.
- Experience and interest in youth and interfaith activities.
- Team player with a positive service-oriented attitude.
- Basic understanding of compliance and risk management.
The successful candidate must have/be:
- At least 5 years of senior management experience, preferably at a Not-for-Profit
- A Bachelor’s degree with a relevant major, graduate degree preferred
- Fluent in oral and written English. Proficiency in Arabic language is a plus