The Mecca Center invites passionate and qualified candidates to apply for the integral position of
Imam and Religious Affairs Director.
The Mecca Center is a large, diverse and inclusive Islamic center located in Willowbrook, Illinois, serving the Muslim community of the Southwest and Western Suburbs of Chicago. The Mecca Center was founded on a comprehensive and inclusive understanding of Islam based on the noble principles outlined in the Quran and exemplified in the Sunnah. The Center’s programs, activities and services are designed to develop the spirit, mind and a sense of civic responsibility in our community’s members.
We believe in fostering an exemplary community that thrives on unity, diversity, and spiritual growth. As the Imam and Religious Affairs Director, you will play a pivotal role in advancing our mission and contributing to the strategic direction of the Center
Key Responsibilities: Fostering Spiritual and Religious Growth of the Community
- Lead fajr, mughrib and ‘isha prayers, d elivering short lessons ( khatira) following ‘isha at least five times a week, and ensure adequate coverage for the remaining prayers and lessons.
- Lead the Friday prayers and give the khutba, at least twice a month; and coordinate coverage with the Religious Affairs Committee for the remaining Friday prayers.
- Lead the Eid prayers and deliver the Eid khutbas; and arrange for adequate coverage for the other Eid prayers and khutbas as required.
- Attend to the spiritual, religious and social needs of the community, for example: counseling community members on various personal matters, visiting the sick and elderly, performing marriage and funeral related services, and serving as a mediator when appropriate as requested by members.
- Provide periodic programming on religious and spiritual topics, including teaching one or more courses throughout the year in coordination with the Education Director.
- Advise on fiqh/Islamic law issues as requested by community members and the Center’s board, committees, staff and volunteers.
- Play a leading role in the planning and coordination of Ramadan activities, including taraweeh prayers, fundraising and other programs, in coordination with the Religious Affairs Committee.
Representing and Engaging the Community
- Represent the Mecca Center with respect to religious matters and issues to the general public and other religious, social and community organizations.
- Actively participate in interfaith outreach and civic engagement activities, in coordination with the applicable committees.
- Actively participate in fundraising activities.
- Foster a collaborative and welcoming environment at the Mecca Center.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience as an Imam
- Formal degree in Islamic studies or equivalent in traditional ijaza
- Experience working within diverse American Muslim communities
- Fluency in Arabic and English is required
- Must be U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive base salary of a minimum of $90,000 and upwards commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Generous Ramadan and end of year performance based bonuses
- Clergy housing allowance
- Health insurance and retirement benefits
- Moving expenses covered
If interested, please submit your CV, along with a cover letter, and examples of your writing, speaking and recitation to email@example.com